Let’s talk skin care! Arguable my favorite thing in the world. Recently a friend (Hi Lauren) asked what kind of skin care brands and products she should be using. This got me thinking, “are others struggling to find a starting point with skincare?” The answer is, YES!
I took a few polls through my Instagram stories and was happy to see that 69% of you answered YES, you have a set skin care routine and offered your favorite brands (thank you, I appreciate you!) Additionally, 31% of you answered NO, you do not currently have a set skincare routine. Of that 31%, 100% of you answered that you would like to implement a skin care routine but don’t know where to start. Well, you have come to the right place! Here you’ll find information on skin type, products, and recommended brands.
Skin care can be intimidating!!!! There are so many different brands and products out there, it can be super overwhelming. For me, I started off slow and have built up my skin care collection over the past few years.
I have put this blog post together in hopes that it can help everyone in some way or another! Whether this helps you start out on your skin care journey or add to your already awesome routine, we can all learn something new from this post.
Ok, let’s get in to it!
A great starting point is knowing your skin type. Knowing your skin type will help you look for products that are specifically made for your skin. Everyone’s skin is different. No one skin type is better than another, we’re all unique!
There are 6 main skin types:
- Dry skin
- Acne-prone skin
- Oily skin
- Combination skin
- Sensitive skin
- Normal skin
If you aren’t 100% sure what your skin type is, I have found two resources to help!
Now that you have determined your skin type, let’s talk products.
There are so many skin care products on the market. How do we know which ones are best? Tbh, I don’t have the exact answer to this! Because we all have different skin, different products work for different people. Ask yourself what you want from your products. What does your skin need?
Below are some basic products to start off with. Use/apply in the following order:
- Face wash/cleanser – Washing your face is important! Cleansing removes buildup on your skin (oil, dirt, makeup, etc.) That being said, make sure you are using a cleanser that is made for your skin type. This is going to be the first product you use/apply so you want to start off strong. I would suggest using lukewarm water, hot water can destroy your skins natural barrier.
- Toner – After cleansing follow with a toner. Toners help to remove excess dirt, oil and makeup, and balances the pH of your skin. Again, making sure you are using a toner that is made for your skin type.
- Moisturizer – Moisturizers and creams help maintain the moisture balance of your skin. One more time, say it with me! Make sure your moisturizer or cream is suited for your skin type. There are so many moisturizers, creams, balms and gels out there, there is definitely a perfect match for your skin!
- Eye cream – The skin around our eyes is insanely delicate. Using an eye cream will help prevent signs of aging, puffiness and wrinkles. No matter your age, you should be using an eye cream!!! The sooner you start the better. What kind of eye cream you use will be determined by your under eye concerns (dryness, dark circles, wrinkles, etc.)
These are the basics I would suggest starting off with! A routine this basic should only take around 5 minutes tops (I use quite a few more products and my routine only takes around 8-10 minutes).
Other products to build your collection:
- Serums – Lightweight moisturizers. Serums can penetrate deeper into the skin, delivering essential ingredients to your skin. Serums can help give skin a firmer, smoother texture. They should be applied after toner and before moisturizers.
- Facial oils – Facial oils help seal moisture into the skin. Other benefits include, providing a barrier from pollutants and promoting a healthy glow. This should be applied last!
- Face masks – Skin care treatment to target your specific skincare concerns. Who doesn’t love a good face mask?! Use once or twice a week or a few times a month.
- Exfoliators – Exfoliating gets rid of dead skin cells, helping to prevent sweat, bacteria and dirt from becoming stuck under the skins surface. Exfoliate once or twice a week!
I have included all of the brands you guys suggested as well as some of my own! They are categorized below by price range. Don’t feel like you need to go out and buy a $100 moisturizer, you can find awesome products in any price range. Start off slow and work your way up. All of the brands included have great quality products. Find products and brands that work best for you and your skin!
If you’re like me and have a set skin care routine, this list will hopefully open your eyes to new brands. There were quite a few brands on here I had not heard of and would love to try! For me, its helpful to know a friend has tried something and has loved it before I splurge on a product.
If you want to try a new brand but don’t want to break the bank, look and see if they offer product sets. For example, Ole Henriksen and Drunk Elephant both offer lots of product sets that come with travel/sample sizes at a lower cost. This is a great way to try products out before purchasing a full size!
I have put a * next to any brands I have personally tried and recommend checking out. The other brands are ones you guys have suggested and love! If you are just starting out with skin care I would highly suggest staying in the $ or $$ price range. Ease yourself into skin care and see if you can keep up with a basic routine before you splurge on expensive products.
- Bliss *
- The Body Shop * (specifically tea tree oil products helped clear up a friends skin!)
- Mario Badescu *
- The Ordinary *
- Pacifica *
- Pixie Beauty *
- Versed *
- Clinique *
- First Aid Beauty
- Kiehls * (one of my favorites!)
- Sunday Riley
- Ahava *
- Dr. Brandt
- Drunk Elephant * (cruelty free, clean beauty, and loved by sooo many)
- Fresh! *
- Ole Henriksen *
- Purlisse *
Products I Love
- Ahava Hydration Cream Mask
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Serum
- Kiehls Cucumber Herbal Conditioning Cleanser
- Keihls Hydro-Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum
- Kiehls Midnight Recovery Eye
- Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream
- Purlisse Watermelon Energizing Aqua Balm
- Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater
- Ole Henriksen C Your Best Selfie Brightening Moisturizer & Eye Creme Set
Lastly, I got a few questions about Drunk Elephant specifically! I have tried a few products from Drunk Elephant and have liked them. Recently I tried out their B-Hydra Serum and loved it! I have a few followers who always recommend Drunk Elephant products to me and the brand gets awesome reviews online! As I mentioned above, they have a lot of product sets you can try.
I hope that this post was helpful! Hopefully you were able to make it through, lol! I put a lot of time and research in to this post to provide you with the best information possible. Whether you are starting out with skincare or adding to your routine, I hope you were able to learn or be exposed to something new. Leave a comment and let me know what you think! You can always DM me any questions through my Instagram page as well, @mollysfavorites
Just want to add that in no way am I a skin care expert. All of the information above are things I have learned over the past few years with my own experiences and research!